On the 17th of August, 2011, Dr. Mutai, Executive Director of the Kenya Industrial Property Institute (KIPI) andDr. Isaac Rutenberg, patent agent will be at the iHub giving an in-depth talk on patents and trademarks. During this talk, They will be focusing on how to obtain patents in Kenya, East Africa and Europe.Here's what will be covered:
- Introduction to IP and review of previous seminar.
- Utility Patents- What they cover, how to get them, when and why one should get them- Requirements for a patent- Overlapping patents, infringemen- How patents can help entrepreneurs- What patents can NOT do.
- Obtaining patents in Kenya, East Africa, Europe, the US.
- Other types of patents - design, plant.
- Special topics in patents - computer software, hardware, and mobiletechnology.
- Patents in the news.
Dr. Henry Kibet Mutai is a lawyer and an advocate of the High Court of Kenya.He received his LLB from the University of Nairobi. He also has LLM degrees from Temple University in Philadelphia, USA and the University of Melbourne, focusing on international law and intellectual property. He obtained his PhD in international trade law from the University of Melbourne in 2006.
Prior to his appointment as the Managing Director, Kenya Industrial Property Institute (KIPI), he worked as a senior lecturer at Moi University School of Law where he was Head of the Department of Private Law. His research interests are in the areas of international trade law and intellectual property.
Dr. Kibet will be coming along with one of his patent examiners, Janet Kisio.
To attend this intense talk, register here