The Mobile Monday event at the iHub was full house. Jamilla from Akirachix was the first to present on theM-farm. The M-farm app won theIPO48 competition. Why did they make this app? Farmers are the backbone of the economy. The application allows farmers to buy and sell produce, it links the farmers to the suppliers thereby reducing the negative effects of the middlemen and the brokers. They aim to crowd source information from the farmers. They also want to strengthen the bond between the farmer and the cooperatives.
The application allows users to see who will be the worst drivers. The site is calledoverlap.co.ke. The aim of this application is to report traffic offenses.
Being part of a sustainable and scalable developer’s ecosystem with Nokia
Presented by Agatha Gikunda, Solutions Sales for East and Southern Africa
Nokia is trying to engage developers in Kenya and market their applications. They recognize that the major challenges that developers face are distribution and marketing. The advantage of Nokia ovistore is that you can create local and publish globally. Distribution is global. Revenue for Nokia is 70/30; 70% for the developer and 30% for Nokia. Ovi store has 300,000 downloads daily. About 30 apps have been created by Kenyan devs for the Nokia Ovi Store. We were encouraged to make applications for S40 or mobile web. Next Nokia boot camp will in February of next year.
What's new inSafaricom?
Presented by Nzioka Waita , Head of Strategy and New BusinessSafaricom
His role is to make Safaricom the preferred network for consumers. He highlighted thefuture of Safaricom in his talk:
- They have a service delivery platform (SDP) that is to be launched soon.
- An application store is also to be launched.
- They have a Safaricom academy for training ground for young innovators.
- They plan to develop a small incubation center.
- The innovation board (recently launched) will enable Safricom to listen to local ideas..
- They plan to invest in Safaricom garage where application developers can interact with a part of the their network.